Can I burn?

July 1 – September 30

Fire Safety Burn Bans – People love the outdoors in Washington. However, summer activities such as outdoor burning can increase fire risk dramatically. Below are a few activities and who you might contact for more information:

October 1 – March 30

Air Quality Burn Bans – Air quality degrades during winter months, which can lead to burn bans. Your local air agency is the best source of information when you have a question about using your wood stove, outdoor burning or similar activities. Use the map below to determine your air quality authority.


If you still need help, feel free to use the Contact form and send us an email before burning.

Local Air Agencies

Contact your local City, County and Local Fire District

State Agencies

Lands not under the authority of local air agencies or Tribes are enforced by the state Department of Ecology. Regulated lands within the Department of Ecology are divided into 3 main regions:

Ecology Central Regional Office – Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan counties.
Information and receptionist: 509-575-2490.

Ecology Eastern Regional Office – Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties.
Information and receptionist: 509-329-3400.

Ecology Northwest Regional Office – San Juan county only.
Information and receptionist: 425-649-7000.